Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 5 The Smell of Rain


This is what I saw when I stepped out of our bedroom lanai still groggy from sleep. It's been more rainy than not around here in the past week. As much as I love the sunny days of Hawaii, I also love the rain.

Maybe I can say that because I haven't yet experienced the constant pour that lasts for days. So far, what we've been getting here has been huge downpours interspersed with nice sunny moments. Frequently, we are rewarded with gigantic rainbows.

I like the rain. It makes everything feel fresh and new. In my groggy state, I inhaled the fresh air and  enjoyed the goosebumps from the slight chill of the morning. I marveled at the sight of our banana plants and the fast-growing hibiscus. I inhaled again and held my hand out catching raindrops on my palms.

The feel of the rain transported me back to a time in my childhood when my friends and I ran outside and played in the rain. Some days, I went home from school soaked from head to toe, freezing, but exhilarated.

I sat on our front lanai for a short while listening to the insistent pounding of rain on the roof. The heavy blanket of rain made the trees and bushes look almost ethereal.

Some minutes later, I walked downstairs to prepare for another day of studying. I was rewarded with some sunshine as I opened the windows and the front door for ventilation.

By the time I had my study materials ready, the downpour started again and the familiar smell of freshness permeated the air once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment