Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 1 Perseverance


“Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.”

In the fall of 2007, I eagerly took my first class for my graduate degree. In two years, I thought then, I would have a Masters Degree in Nursing Education. I was ecstatic.

Life, however, took me on several twists. In January 2008, I moved to California for a flight nurse position. I continued with my classes but the training at work was becoming so intense that I had to put school on hold for a little while. The next year, July 2009, I moved to Hilo for another flight nurse position. My work schedule allowed me once more to continue with classes. I persevered until I had only my practicum left. One more class and I would be done! Just 8 more weeks of school and it is over!

April 2010: Tom is stationed at Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan. Once more, school took a backseat. There was no place for me to complete my practicum.

Fall 2012: Alas, I am back in school. Unfortunately, the curriculum has changed. I now have to take Advance Pathopharmacology then re-apply to get into the Practicum class. The 8 weeks I thought I had left has now turned to 24 weeks. No worries. I'm in. I will get this done. No matter how long it takes. Perseverance is the key.

The picture above are my plumeria plants. I bought several of them from Walmart. I gave some as gifts. I had these two for two or three weeks (maybe longer?). I wasn't even really sure how to plant them. I found an empty pot and stuck them in, left them out where they could get plenty of sun and rain and didn't do much of anything else to them. Many weeks went by and I noticed that one of them sprouted small leaves. Unfortunately, 2-foot long weeds had taken over much of the plant pot. Carefully, I removed all the weeds. The one on the right sprouted a couple more leaves. I didn't have much hope for the one on the left. About a week or so later, however, I noticed a tiny leaf peeking out. Against all odds, both plants lived. Somewhere, deep in the ground, they persevered toward life. I am going to plant them in front of our yard to remind me to keep going, no matter what the odds. 

This picture makes me smile and gives me hope and inspires me. When all seems lost, it isn't always.

1 comment:

  1. So true, so true, so true! This tell me, I need so something out of my comfort zone. Perhaps, closing the eyes and taking a leap of faith. I too have plumeria plants that were giving to me by a friend who moved out of state. They are 3 feet high, they have leaves, but never flowers...maybe this year!

    ReplyDelete