Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 26 The Memory of Taste


I was walking by the EMS ramp on my way home and I saw this beautiful pineapple. Suddenly, my mouth watered and the memory of taste transported me.

I was in my grandmother's farm. Scattered in random spots were pineapple plants in different stages of ripening. My cousins and I would pluck them regardless of whether they were ready or not. I remember how the young and unripened slices, when dipped in vinegar, tasted so wonderful. That luscious taste brought me back happy memories of my childhood, of the laughter I shared with my cousins, of the guilt we felt at taking the pineapples without permission from my grandmother, of the fun we had carousing in the open fields and exploring the mountains, of the countless varieties of fruits that my grandmother grew and the fun times I had climbing the fruit trees.

I remember the avocado tree. It was difficult to climb because of all the moss that grew on it. The avocado fruit, in my 10-year old hands, were massive.

I remember the cherry tree. I remember the thorns that always got me; but the cherries were worth it - sweet and juicy.

I remember the guava trees. I remember that burst of sweet flavor with every bite. I ate so much once and felt sick for a day.

And the green mangoes . . .

Even now, as I think of the fruits that I've eaten in my childhood, I close my eyes and nostalgic memories flood me.

Tom brought some strawberries this morning. I think I'll savor them slowly and enjoy the memories of childhood that will come with each bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment