Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 20 Persistence Pays



Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.
Colin Powell


I was ecstatic when I saw this on my school dashboard. I have finally managed to get into the Practicum course, the last one I have to take before I graduate with my Masters in Science in Nursing Education. 

I started on this degree in the fall of 2007. As I close down the last remaining weeks of Advanced Pathopharmacology, I look forward to starting the last leg of this journey. I'm getting there, however, slowly.

At my BSN graduation ceremony in 2001, a student who was, I think, summa cum laude, gave a speech that stuck in my mind all these years. She was in her 40s and just completed her Bachelor's Degree. She said that she knew it was going to take 4 years of her life, maybe more, to get her degree. 4 years! Then she said, 4 years was going to happen anyway whether she chose it to or not. So, might as well do something with it. That struck me so hard that I have used that as one of my driving personal mottoes in life. The years are going to happen no matter what. It's what we choose to do with those years that matters.

This is gonna happen! The Practicum course is split into two parts of 8-week sessions. By the end of June, I will be done with school!!!


Well, at least, for now. Until I start the Doctorate in Nursing Practice Program . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment